10 wildly under-appreciated facts about Australia
To celebrate the recent launch of Webgains Australia we’ve spoken to resident Aussie, our Attribution & Support Executive Paul Lewis. He’s given us his top ten interesting, obscure and at times downright ridiculous facts about Australia. Go forth and win pub quizes!
10. Melbourne used to be called Batmania. Na-na na-na na-na na-na…
9. Practice your pouting. The selfie is an Australian invention.
8. Australia is 32 times the size of the UK.
7. Australia actually gets more snow than Switzerland.
6. The biggest ever victory in an international football match was when Australia beat American Samoa in 2001. They won by a whopping 31-0.
5. This one’s actually quite nice. The kangaroo and emu are both on the Australian coat of arms. Why? Because neither animal can walk backwards and so they symbolise a nation always going forward. See, told you this was a nice one.
4. Termite mounds found in northern Australia are regarded as the tallest non-human made constructions on earth.
3. Australia was the second country in the world, behind New Zealand, to allow women to vote.
2. An Australian man once tried to sell New Zealand on eBay. Not sure how much he was charging for shipping.
1. If you visited one new beach in Australia every day, it would take over 27 years to see them all.